Who are we?

My photo
Lakeland, Florida, United States
We are Tim (Dad), Krisy (Mom), Delaney (7), Greyson (2), and Owen (1).

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

St Andrews...and more

Janice is here! We were excited to welcome Krisy's sister Janice for a visit this week. She came on Friday and is staying for this whole week. We are so glad to have her here. When we are not looking Delaney always whispers to Janice, "Come on, lets go play." They have had a great time together.

Yesterday, we went to St. Andrews on a bus tour (Thanks Janice!). We had a beautiful day with great weather and a helpful tour guide. He knew...a lot. Anyway, here are some shots from the day.


This one is not from the tour, but it is a good shot of Delaney and Janice.

Janice, Krisy, and Delaney posing at our first stop, The Forth Rail Bridge.
This was one of the three days a year that we needed sunglasses, and we did not have them for Delaney. Thus, she got to wear Krisy's. We sat in the very back of the bus, which meant we could put our stuff in the aisle and make ourselves at home. Delaney is enjoying some tastey treats.
Me, Janice and Delaney in the old quadrangle of St. Andrews University (the oldest in Scotland). I tried to imagine what it would have been like if I had decided to go there instead of Edinburgh. St. Andrews has a normal population of 16,000...with 8,000 of those being students at the University. It would have been a much different experience. But we are still happy with our choice. By the way, England's Prince William graduated from St. Andrews just two summers ago. They said in the time he was there, the number of female applicants went up by 2000 per cent. Pretty funny.
Just down from St. Andrews Old Course is the beach on which they filmed Chariots of Fire. So of course we made our way down there and Delaney and I had a race on the sand (recreated here).
The Old Course at St. Andrews. I still don't like golf. But it was pretty impressive being there.
The cemetary at the ruin of St. Andrews cathedral.
Delaney at St. Andrews cathedral.

We learned some interesting facts. We drove through the little villiage called Auchtermuckty, which has the claim to fame of being the home town of the guys who sang "I would walk 500 miles" (The Proclaimers). We also drove by the place where a 17th century man lived who was the inspiration for Robinson Crusoe. We drove by a school to which Sean Connery used to deliver milk when he worked as a milkman in Edinburgh. I learned that a man named Deacon Brodie was the inspiration for Stevenson's Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. We drove by a tavern that was the original setting for the beginning of Treasure Island (also by Stevenson). We also heard 200 stores about Mary, Queen of Scots.

It was a fulfilling day on many levels.

1 comment:

Tracey said...

Posts like this one make me feel like I've taken a little field trip! I just love to read the happenings of your lives. Thanks for keeping this blog updated. I come to it every day. Love y'all!