Who are we?

My photo
Lakeland, Florida, United States
We are Tim (Dad), Krisy (Mom), Delaney (7), Greyson (2), and Owen (1).

Monday, May 19, 2008

'This is getting to be a problem...'

I have mentioned rather casually before that I like to listen to podcasts. They are a good way to pass the time when I am doing something a little boring. At least that is how I used to view them. Now, I am a little obsessed with them. Every night after supper I head to the computer to download the evening's selection. Then for the 45min or so, I listen to something while doing the dishes. I even did this while my parents were here (my mom took the picture above).

In fact when my parents asked what gift they could get for me when they were here I asked specifically for new headphones. I don't like the i-Pod 'buds' and the only other ones I have I have been using since I got a CD-walkman (circa 1998). Now that I am fully equipped, I do not go anywhere without my i-Pod, headphones, and a litany of podcasts.

Here are the ones currently loaded in my player:


Sermons

1) Desiring God (John Piper) - Other than my own pastors (Peter Grainger and Colin Adams) Dr. Piper is my 'go to' pastor/preacher. The Lord has used him to challenge and encourage me over the last 8 years since I first heard him preach.


2) Renewing Your Mind (R.C. Sproul) I don't always agree with R.C. Sproul, most notably on the issue of Baptism. But the man brings a keen intellect and winsome manner to the pulpit.

Books

1) New York Times Book Review: Usually from an openly liberal perspective, but it does let me hear about literary trends. Many of the insights are valuable.

2) Washington Post Book World: For me, not as helpful as the NYT review, but really good.

3) Writers on Writing: Interviews with notable writers about the writing process. A little self-congratulatory, but interesting nonetheless.

4) I-Tunes Meet the Author: Interviews with authors explaining their works.

5) The Writers Almanac: 5 minute 'On this day in writing history this happened' sort of program.

Politics

1) Meet the Press: Absolutely love it. I look forward to it every week. This is how I knew this was starting to be a bit of a problem for me.

2) This Week with George Stephanopoulos (don't feel like looking up the spelling right now): Not as good as MTP, but good analysis of political issues.

3) C-Span Road to the White House: Only listen to this when there is a particular speech I want to hear.

Somewhat High Brow

1) Philosophy Podcast: Readings from works of philosophy.

2) Philosophy: The Classics: A guy takes you through all of the major works of philosophy and explains them in pretty accessible terms.

3) Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: 10-20 minute biographies.


Entertainment

1) Prairie Home Companion: Homespun humor.

2) This American Life: Again, a slightly liberal take on things. But the stories are truly facinating. Last week they explained the sub-prime mortgage crisis by interviewing people on every side of the issue. I now understand why this was such a big deal! It is interesting, they always start off with a topic that I don't think I'll be very interested in. But by the 5 minute mark, I am usually hooked.

3) Wait Wait Don't Tell Me (News Quiz): Just a funny news quiz with a panel of comedians. It is a good way for me to catch up on whats going on back home.


I will usually make it through all of these podcasts...every week. I listen on the way to and from school, at the grocery store, doing the dishes, going to and from church meetings. Basically, any time I am walking or standing for a long time, I am listening to a podcast. In fact, I feel it is a profound waste of time to walk more than 10 yards without learning something about the Federated States of Micronesia, or something.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I look forward to checking out some of your listening suggestions. When we do home projects and work late into the evening I get seriously addicted to Mark Devor's Nine Marks radio interviews.

But, seriously, while dish washing? This may be a warning sign. Haha.