In college I had a rare group of friends. The group really went beyond the typical collegiate "security packs" that always seem to form on campus. We loved each other. We would watch movies, go on outings, and fight occassionally. It was, in a real sense, a family. In fact when I think of our college I still imagine them there - as though they have frozen in time just waiting for me to come back and visit. A self-centered fancy, to be sure. It was a happy time of securing our beliefs and becoming. Joe, whom I went to high school with as well, now holds a PhD and lives in Chicago with his wife. Jenn, the funniest girl I have ever known, is married to an Army Captain and lives in South Korea with their new baby. Amy lives in Gainesville with her husband and is Physicians Assistant. And finally there is Shannon.
Shannon just got married last Sunday and Krisy and I had the blessing of being there as she married Shane, another college friend. Jenn came in from Korea and we had a great chance to catch up on what has happened in the last several years since we had all been together. Margie, our Baptist Student Union director was there as well and told us all the latest news from other people we had lost touch with. It was a great night and it made me thankful for those years in college. I hope it will not be quite so long before we see everyone again. But it is good to know that the friendships have endured and will be there, although not frozen in time as I would like it.
No comments:
Post a Comment