Who are we?

My photo
Lakeland, Florida, United States
We are Tim (Dad), Krisy (Mom), Delaney (7), Greyson (2), and Owen (1).

Monday, August 27, 2007

A Little Confession

A lot of people take a break from studies during the summer. They usually do a little light reading. I remember a few summers ago while I was a pastor, I read over 10 books in one summer. I needed a break from my normal reading. So I made it through several books on American history and a biography of Cicero. I also read novels like Elmer Gantry, The Catcher in the Rye, and To Kill a Mockingbird. I finished with a study on the Declaration of Independence. This summer was a little different for me.

I had always heard that the series '24' was worth a look see. Thus, I decided to set out on a little summer quest. I was going to watch the 5 seasons of 24 that were available at our local blockbuster. My confession is: I succeeded. I now feel like I could work in the LA branch of CTU and have a pretty good familiarity with their systems and personnel. And by the way, you don't want to mess with me now. I know several ways to hurt you with even mildly pointy things.

When I would come home from work at about 10:30p.m. Delaney would be in bed and Krisy would be just barely awake. So I would let her drift off and by 10:45, I was ready to clock in at CTU for the night. With the benefit of DVD technology, each episode is only 40 minutes, and I would save time by skipping chapters that were too obvious or tedious. So I could get through 3-4 episodes in one night if I was really dilligent. As I said, I was on a quest.

I just finished season five this morning. I am aware that season 6 is available, too. It will be released in the UK in October. I think I'll rent it when it comes out.

It is easy to spot themes in a series when you watch that many episodes in a short period of time. The series is an obvious exploration of the 'greater good'. Said another way, Jack Bauer is a self-sacrificing, heroic figure who remains transfixed on what will bring the greatest 'good', even if 'bads' have to be committed. His motto seems to be 'To save the day, you have to break the rules.' Throughout the series, a phrase repeats: "Do what you have to do".

Bauer operates in a complicated and brutal world. On the positive side, Bauer's character is brave and compationate. However, he also considers himself to be the judge and jury when the system fails to act. In one sense he is truly heroic. However, his worldview lacks an appreciation for divine justice, so admiration for the character needs to be qualified.

But the real reason for the post is this: Someone once asked me what benefit I see in fiction. "I just can't get interested in something that is not real," they said. I hear that. But fiction provides a unique opportunity to safely explore things that are real. As I watch Bauer charge into a terrorist camp to save his wife and daughter, I ask "Am I Brave at all in how I defend/lead my family?" When Bauer stands toe to toe with evil without blinking, I ask "Have I ever shown that much backbone in anything?" When his wrath lashes out at people who have wronged him, it serves as a cautionary tale: the anger of men does not produce the righteousness of God.

The net result is that I benefitted from the experience. I will now get more sleep and I will do more reading. My quest is finished. Time to clock out.

4 comments:

Christy said...

I am laughing really hard right now! The same thing happened to my husband and me last summer and into the fall. We sped through the five past seasons to try and catch it on TV for the sixth. We didn't sleep much and "Jack Bauer" became a verb, as in, "should we sleep tonight or should we Jack Bauer?"
I definitely like it better on DVD. I am not a very patient person. And "just one more episode" never seems so bad when it's only 40 minutes.....

Joe said...

Kathy and I did this with the first season of Rome. It was great. We are now starting season 2, finally. Unfotunately, HBO cancelled it, though, so this is all we get.

Anonymous said...

Funny I have the same quest. My ipod has season 2 on it now, I'm about halfway through.

Kev

Tim Lett said...

Oh man. I am so glad that you are hooked on Jack Bauer. Daphne and I have been addicted since Day Two. We caught it early in Day One, but the addiction took hold later. I have all of the DVDs in my collection. In fact, every Christmas my in-laws give me the previous season as a gift. Works for me. Glad your "one of us" now. And Tim, do what has do be done.