Who are we?

My photo
Lakeland, Florida, United States
We are Tim (Dad), Krisy (Mom), Delaney (7), Greyson (2), and Owen (1).

Thursday, November 22, 2007

A mixed bag

How is this for a mixed bag? I came to New College this morning to do some work because I am meeting a friend for lunch and prayer at noon. I decided to set up in the New College common area/cafeteria (Rainy Hall) because I usually do not study very well in libraries. I am too concerned with being quiet and not typing too loudly. So this works better.

Anyway, I am sitting in this charming hall, modeled after some kind of dimly lit medieval hunting lodge (that's a stretch, but I think old thoughts when I am in here). I splurged and bought a can of coca-cola to show solidarity after the shocking soda poll results. To my left are two books: Reformation Thought by Alister McGrath and Volume One of Post-Reformation Reformed Dogmatics by Richard Muller. My laptop is casting a subtle glow at my distressed table. An odd mix of new technology, old theology (which is the best by the way), and old coke (also best) surrounds me.

But as I started typing another factor crept in. The UB-40 version of 'I Can't Help Falling in Love With You'. Everyone loves that song. Especially the kitchen staff here in Rainy Hall. They are a hoot. I like it when Meatloaf (the singer, not food) is on the radio and the sweet ladies are in the back trilling to 'I Would Do Anything for Love'. When the Proclaimers come on -- Katy bar the door. There's gonna be 500 miles of party.

Back to UB-40: As soon as I heard the opening drum lick (da-da-LAK-ka-kak) I knew what was coming: 'Wise men say....Only Fools Rush in...' I had to smile. It made for an interesting collection of influences at my table.

I am not kidding about this. As I was finishing this post, a student came in, sat at the corner piano and started playing unsolicited Chopin. Its almost like he knew what I was writing.

No comments: