Who are we?

My photo
Lakeland, Florida, United States
We are Tim (Dad), Krisy (Mom), Delaney (7), Greyson (2), and Owen (1).

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Just as I suspected...

(image: Wikipedia)
The poll confirmed my suspicions. I recently saw a list of the 'most read novels' and Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged was somewhere near the top. So I thought I would include it in the poll. I have never read it, nor has anyone who voted. Hmm.

It is not really in the same category with the other books I listed since it is over 1,000 pages long. I have heard a lot about it, but never really considered reading it until I saw it on a shelf in Borders Books the other day.

I don't think I'll read it in the near furture (maybe?), but it looms on the horizon for me. From what I know of the book, Wikipedia has a good summary of the premise:

"The main conflict of the book occurs as the "individuals of the mind" go on strike, refusing to contribute their inventions, art, business leadership, scientific research, or new ideas of any kind to the rest of the world. Society, they believe, hampers them by interfering with their work and underpays them by confiscating the profits and dignity they have rightfully earned. The peaceful cohesiveness of the world requires those individuals whose productive work comes from mental effort. But feeling they have no alternative, they eventually start disappearing from the communities of "looters" and "moochers" who bleed them dry. The strikers believe that they are crucial to a society that exploits them, and the near-total collapse of civilization triggered by their strike shows them to be correct."

You may also be interested to know that the movie The Incredibles was supposedly the embodiment of facets of Rand's philosophy. There's an interesting little tid bit.

Anyway, just thought you might be interested in why I posted that poll.

No comments: