Who are we?

My photo
Lakeland, Florida, United States
We are Tim (Dad), Krisy (Mom), Delaney (7), Greyson (2), and Owen (1).

Friday, April 18, 2008

I Am Receptionist

Recently I watched the movie 'I am Legend', about a guy who is the lone survivor in New York following the out break of a human-killing, zombie-spawning, agression-laden, street-clearing, lion-importing, virus. Its a lot better than it sounds. I was struck by how similiar my job is to the main character's (Will Smith).

1) We both have a lot of lonely time.
2) At sundown, the doors lock and we are left alone with stockpiles of food and the internet.
3) We both try to remember what human conversation sounds like.
4) We both feel like we are going a little 'la-la' from the isolation.
5) We both do experiments on zombies in the basement right after supper.

Shocking, huh? Seriously, I am at work right now (night shift at the hotel) and I just spent the last ten minutes flipping a 10p coin in the air like a 1930s beat cop. When I first arrived tonight, one of the housekeepers was finishing her shift. She looked at me with sympathy and spoke. 'I have always wondered,' she began, 'how on earth do you night receptionists pass the time?'. 'Easy,' I said, 'There's the zombies to think about.' She tilted her head like she did not understand. But I think she did. Or maybe she's a zombie. Either way, I made my point.

Here I sit. I am Receptionist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didnt know your email address to forward this to you but you have got to go to utube and see the two year old girl singing the Lord's prayer. It is so sweet!!!

Aunt Paula