Hey, you know what I really like for a snack? Peanuts and a coke. I'm just sayin'.
Along those lines here is a trivia question: Can anyone tell me the song that this line comes from (without googling it)?
I remember circlin' the drive-in,
pullin' up and turnin' down George Jones
I remember when no one was lookin'
I was puttin' peanuts in my Coke...
Ok, its snack time.
13 comments:
I Was Country When Country Wasn't Cool by Barbara Mandrell. Came out sometime in the 70's. You would have just been a little boy.
We have a winner! Good job Ginnie.
I remember hearing this song while standing up in the front seat of pick-up truck...while it was in motion. I guess I was country when country wasn't safe.
Tim
Hey at least they put you in the front of the truck. . . we road in the back of it.
This was a great song. In the live version, which was the most-played, Barbara sang this song with a special guest appearance on stage by the man himself, George Jones. Oh man...makes me want to sing He Stopped Lovin Her Today...and The Race is On...OhhhWheeee. Man, I love country music.
I had the answer and see that I am right.....I was Country when Country wasn't Cool by Barbara Mandrell.....someone beat me to it.
Hi - it's Renee Tatum. You are all looking wonderful. I do stop in from time to time to "check you all out" - the pictures while Janice was there are wonderful and beautifully sunny...
Hope all is going very well.
Love - Renee
Tim, I'm pretty sure while you were in the front, I was in the back of the truck on a lawn chair. I believe we were heading for St. Pete Beach....
Tracey,
I remember my parents telling me about that trip. Guess we were country when country was mildly insane.
Six people, three coolers, one pick up truck, one bench seat, one lawn chair in the back, going 60mph on I-4 and not a seat belt in sight.
But still, good times.
Precious memories... how they linger... (humming away)
There's nothing quite like happy memories!
I am in the middle of the most boring meeting ever and just read that last comment about the overloaded pickup of death. Nobody knows why I am tearing up and shaking uncontrolably. I recall my painfully thin legs, clad in far too short camp shorts, sticking to that bench seat.
Kev
Kev,
I think at one point Kyle was sitting on the floorboard.
Poor kicked child.
Tim
Why wasn't the roach called into service? We could have traveled on green vinyl seats. Poor poor kicked child.
kev
What made it worse is that I think he was sitting with his ear right next to that blasted crackling speaker on the door panel.
Poor kicked child with ringing ears. No wonder he ran down the beach like a wildman when we arrived.
Teresa: 'Kyle, come back!'
Cecil: 'Let 'im run. His legs need stretchin' and the poor thing can't hear ya anyways.'
(Uh Kyle, I am wondering why you have not chimed in on this one!)
As for the roach, do you remember how hot it used to get in the back seat of that thing? It was like a small, green, vinyl kiln where children melted in the mid-day sun. No matter how far the front windows were rolled down, no air ventured our way. We breathed the heat and fainting came as a friend.
I am glad we went with the truck. 'Better dangerous wind in my hair than hallucinations in the back of a Matador'...I always say.
I am sorry it took so long to respond to this, but i do have some memories to share about the ride of death and the matador.
First, as scary as it sounds I think I was actually in the back with Tracey. I was like 5. That scares me to death to think about it. Mom, Dad were you trying to get rid of me?
Second, my memories of the matador are the same. Green, vinyl, and underpowered; those are great qualities in any car. Also,I think something really hurt Dad's back when we touched the back of the drivers seat because he just started hollering if we even brushed up against it.
Kyle
Post a Comment