You can kind of judge what kind of study day I am having by the titles sitting closest to me on my desk. Currently, most of the the book titles seemed to have been conceived using this template:
The/A _____________ the English Civil War/Revolution.
If you insert Causes of, effects of, politics of, military history of, nature of, and Atlas of, you will have named my reading list for today. I am finishing a chapter on the history of iconoclasm in the Reformed tradition and part of that involves the events surrounding the English Civil War(s). Since the chapter roughly covers the time period of 1559 (Calvin's final edition of The Institutes) to the mid 1640s (when the subject of my Thesis carried out his state-sponsored iconoclasm) there is a lot material. I attempt to tackle John of Damascus, Nicea II, John Calvin, John Knox, Peter Ramus, William Perkins, William Laud, Charles I, and one dude whose first name was Lancelot. His parents were big fans of the round table, I deem.
According to my time schedule, I need to have this chapter done some time in February. So I am shooting for Feb. 1st. This all fits in with my goal of having a draft (I emphasize draft) of my thesis by the end of 2008. That leaves me time to go back and strengthen sections and iron out all the problems that will surely arise.
Here I stand. I can do no other.
No comments:
Post a Comment