Wow. I am at work. I have done dishes, taken out the trash, checked in two people, checked inventory, made up a service tray just in case someone ordered a sandwich for room service, checked my work e-mail, cleaned the kitchen, said 'good evening' to one guest on their way out for the evening, and paced. That all took about 30 minutes. I am in night-watchman mode now.
In my mind I think I could be doing school work, but I don't want to have books and articles all over the place if someone walks in. Plus, I only want to do things that I can easily break away from, like pacing or posting. If I had my head deep in a book on the Puritan theology of Worship and someone said, 'Could I order a ham sandwich' I might not jump into service as I should. So, I stick with reading internet news and posting.
...sorry, I just caught myself staring at a picture on the wall. It is an artist rendering of Edinburgh before the advent of paved roads and sanitation. Pretty interesting. It looks like a place I would want to visit, but not sign a lease. I like modern Edinburgh.
Which raises a question: If you could visit one period of history for a week what would it be? Now, I am sorry, but for the purposes of discussion I am going to take two time periods off the table: 'The Present' and 'when the Lord Jesus walked the earth'. I know many of you, like me, would list the latter right off the bat. But other than those two obvious ones, what would you pick?
Notice I said history. No fair saying, 'I'd like to live in the 25th century so I can finally get that jet pack I've been promised in all the future movies'. Also, notice I just said you are visiting for a week. No one would want to really live in the days of William Shakespeare for a lifetime. Why? Plague, that's why. Ain't no debut of any iambic pentameter worth a lifetime of trench foot, neither.
So let me know: What period in history and why?
Here is my answer:
Time Period: The 1770s in Philadelphia
Why? I would like to mill around with the founders of our country and get a sense of what the unwritten mood was: excitement, fear, reluctance, passion? I would love to have been there when some of the debates were going on about the merits of independence, etc... I wouldn't have to be there on the big day, just around that time, to soak up what was going on.
4 comments:
I would like to talk to Dietrich Bonhoeffer, so maybe 1940s. But a week would be plenty of time!
Good question, Timotheus.
I think, if I were granted this opportunity right now, I would choose the late 1500s, in England. This probably comes as no surprise, since I am researching this period for the doctorate.
Then again, seeing the early puritan world up close might make me realize a lot of things I am not taking account of in my thesis, which would cause a whole slough of problems for me.
My second choice would be Spain in the mid-1930s – I just finished reading "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Hemingway, and he makes the Spanish Civil War sound pretty exciting. I'd want to stay clear of the grenades and bombs, though, for sure ... Andale!
I'd like to live in the 1940's. Helping to keep the country going would be great.
Deanna
Deanna Wants to be in the 40s During WWII helping to build planes and stuff. I'm a little concerned that that might put me in some trench somewhere getting shot at.
Kev
Post a Comment