Who are we?

My photo
Lakeland, Florida, United States
We are Tim (Dad), Krisy (Mom), Delaney (7), Greyson (2), and Owen (1).

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Outing Report

As I was walking down Melville Drive, just south of a large park called the Meadows, it began to rain. It was a Scottish rain. Normally, that would have made me run. But I just zipped up my jacket and walked at the same pace. Having become a full time pedestrian I know that these rains come and go and getting wet is no big deal.

I was on the way to a place called The Cloisters, to meet 3 other students from New College. I really did not know what to expect, students come from pretty broad backgrounds here. But after getting there and joining in conversation for about 10 minutes, I knew I was among friends. We were all preachers, students, and fans of John Piper! We discussed Scripture, history, the church, and what it is like to be a doctoral student. After about 3 hours of good hearty full conversation we started walking home.

I report this as a praise. It was my hope to find a group of guys here that "get it." Now, if you are reading this and don't know what I mean by that, the summary of the "it" is simple: Life is about the Glory of God. You can feel it in conversation when someone gets that. It is not something that we learn in any physical way, it is a work of Grace. In evangelism, when someone's eyes light up and they "get" what you are saying, you have witnessed the Glory of God made known apart from any work of the flesh. Once that has been revealed, you get it.

Well, it was good to be around guys who knew that papers, presentations, and Latin are only worthwhile if they serve the right goal: testifying to the Glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. So I thank God for that "get together." It was fun to know that they loved Calvin, Owen, and Edwards. But it was wonderful to know that they loved the Lord.

Thankful,

Tim

3 comments:

Ginnie said...

So glad you had a nice time and that you were a group of men that "get it". I pray that this will be one of many outings for you.

Tim Lett said...

Lord, do a work in all of us. May we all "GET IT". Blessings to you for this wonderful post.

Anonymous said...

I know this praise report is an answer to prayer. It sounds like you have met some men who may prove to be dear friends over time. Give the ladies a hug for me!