Who are we?

My photo
Lakeland, Florida, United States
We are Tim (Dad), Krisy (Mom), Delaney (7), Greyson (2), and Owen (1).

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Surrounded by Smart People

I am starting to realize that I am not very smart. Had I been smarter, I would have realized that sooner. Today in the park I met another park Dad, who also happens to be a Professor of Law here at Edinburgh University, Old College. He is from Sydney and His wife is Argentinian. We struck up a conversation as we were watching our kids slide down the big slide. "Are you studying at the University?" I began. "Teaching, actually" was the reply. He and I seemed to have very similar senses of humor so the conversation was easy and fun.

He then began speaking to his child in Spanish. I also found out that he had studied in Italy. He then told me that he was soon to leave for sabbatical in Heidelberg Germany, because he wanted to get his German up to a professional level. English, Spanish, Italian, German, and teaches Law. I decided I better try to be very funny or this guy would destroy me in every catergory. I think it was a tie. Kudos, Law man. Kudos again.

It is a great environment in which to study. I am constantly being introduced to sharp people. I went to the Laundromat on Saturday. Even surrounded by the mundane sloshing of clothes, there were very smart looking people reading obscure literature (not a magazine in the place). That is a far cry from the dull stares and Cosmos I saw in Laundry facilities in American college towns. Don't get me wrong, there are people here that would rather chew a book than read it, just like in the States. But I have been impressed at the degree of education I have encountered.

How great it is that fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom. All of the languages and Hume I could read would never afford me the peace of knowing the riches of Christ. I praise God for being here and for the opportunity to refine my thinking and strengthen my writing. But I thank Him all the more for the knowledge that comes not by the will of the flesh nor by the will of man, but of God. May it never be that I should boast, save in the Cross of my Lord Jesus Christ...

Tim

No comments: