Well, due to popular demand, we thought we should post Delaney's "vision" in the artwork posted two posts down. We showed it too her on the blog and this is how the conversation went:
"Delaney, do you recognize this?" She turned from the movie she was watching and said simply, "Yes, I made them." Hoping for more, we decided to press the artist past a minimalistic expression. "Ok, honey. Well, if you made them, what are they? Can you tell us?" After a long pause she said as matter-of-factly as if she were saying her own name, "They are snail balls." This required further questioning for a more precise description. "Hmm?" was the only thing Krisy and I could come up with right off hand.
Then the artist opened up and freely expressed herself, knowing this was the only way we would hush. "They are snail balls. I made big ones and I made small ones" she said actually moving her hands in a cupped position to show us how she did it. They are snails depicted whilst in the retreat/protective mode within their own shell.
"Well, what are they doing?" we asked. "They're just sittin' d'ere." Sometimes the power of art is in the overt message.
1 comment:
Thank you! I needed to laugh in a bad way today. Children truly are a blessing.
Post a Comment