Who are we?

My photo
Lakeland, Florida, United States
We are Tim (Dad), Krisy (Mom), Delaney (7), Greyson (2), and Owen (1).

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Night Reading

From time to time, I like to ask people what they are reading. I find I am more likely to ask that question when I am actually reading something myself. Oh, the mysteries of the human heart.

So, I thought I would share.

Krisy is just finishing up Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. Which is good, because we are due to watch the movie on DVD when she is done. When it comes to Jane Austen, I actually enjoy watching the movies with Krisy. In fact, our only date since we came here was to go see the movie "Becoming Jane." But reading them is another story. Since arriving in Edinburgh, Krisy has read a lot of Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, and now Manfield Park) along with her extensive other reading. It seems that my bride is always finishing up a book, whereas I seem to always be starting on a book. What I mean by that is she reads faster than I can think, and thinks faster than I can imagine. I have said it before, if she were in this PhD program, we would be back in the States by now.
There are a lot of amazing little book shops along the streets in Edinburgh. Every now and again we "pop in" to a shop and look for bargains. Yesterday I went into Pickering Books, a little shop right across the street from us. Great books there. I needed some reading for leisure time and came across a biography of William Shakespeare. The author, Park Honan, has written what many consider to be the definitive biography of the bard, so I picked it up. It is interesting to me because my dissertation has biographical elements in it and I want to see how a really good historian conducts his craft. I was struck by his stated goal in the introduction to the book: "My aim in this book is to show in an accurate narrative all that can be known of Shakespeare's life..." Wow! Ambitious. My guess so far is that he pulls it off.

Anyway, these books are not taking up much of our time, but we enjoy the time we spend on them. Krisy reads for an hour or so almost every night. I am a little more hit and miss since my days are usually spent reading weighty tomes. Before we have our individual reading time, we read to Delaney every night. She gets about two or three regular stories (Berenstain Bears, Dora, or Seuss, usually) and then we turn to Bible stories. I read one. Krisy reads one. Delaney tells us one. Then we go over her memory verses. We pray together, and then Delaney heads to bed. Krisy and I then retire to the little blue couch and read or catch some TV. All in all, it makes for a good routine.

3 comments:

Joe said...

I am always reading several things (although I feel guilty reading non-science stuff, I do it anyway). Right now, my "active books" (i.e. those with bookmarks in them) include:

1) Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads by Gary Greenberg and Jeannie Hayden (thanks, Derek)

2) Medicus: A Novel of the Roman Empire by Ruth Downie

3) Recollections of My Life by Santiago Ramón y Cajal

Since I read them all at the same time, I think of them as one story: an autobigraphy of an ancient Roman physician/Neuroscientist who provides humorous and very helpful advice regarding child-rearing while working to solve a string of murders in the Forum.

Bridges said...

Nice. At one point I was reading The Hobbit, Henry V, and Know it All (by AJ Jacobs). So my combined story would be partly an epic and encyclopedic journey into Gollum's layer, narrated by a witty New York Times contributer who thinks he has a divine right to invade France. The climax comes in Acts III:

"Once more into the breach...halflings...and why does Starucks coffee cost so much?"

Anonymous said...

Yeah,

I read a couple articles in Time a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for making big bubba feel not so brainy.

Kev