I have been sick. It is actually kind of scary, because it feels like what I had in Clewiston that landed me in the hospital for a week. Fever, dizziness, and fitful sleep. But I can honestly say that today I feel better. Which means that the illness might be cleared up before school tomorrow and with no need to medical attention. It may not be what I had before, but it felt similar enough to conjur up memories of that experience.
But today, I was able to go to the grocery store and buy stuff for supper. It is always a stange feeling to step outside for the first time after you have been in bed for a while. Perhaps it was my present condition that made me wonder at the fact that I am in Scotland. I walked out of our apartment, crossed to streets, down to Tesco and it was second nature. It felt real, not like I was at an amusement park. But then as I was standing in line surrounded by Scottish accents and several nationalities, it felt surreal.
I have moments like that. It usually hits me when I watch the weather on TV. No mention is made of the little peninsula I grew up with. I now hear forcasts for England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. In the mornings I sit and eat crumpets (not kidding) and drink coffee and watch News about the Labor Party and the Conservative party. I learn that George W. Bush is not the only leader who gets destroyed in the media. I learn that the US is not the only country with an immigration problem. At times, home feels very far away.
I heard a quote many years ago that stuck with me. I cannot remember who said it, but I think of it often. "If God is your dwelling place, He can make any place your home." I usually do not like theology that fits on a coffee mug, but I like that one.
We can be at home here because God is near. When things appear surreal, thoughts of Him bring the real. He is the Lord and Master of this land as much as any. Christ is meant to be exalted with a Scottish accent as much as with a southern draw. I think it took my mind being altered by illness to have a refreshed appreciation for the grounding Christ brings.
Tim
4 comments:
As I read your post, it made me think of how we as believers can have a peace living in this world that consists of wars, terrorism, child molesters, murderers, etc. It is because we are foreigners to this world.
"Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit."(Ephesians 2:19-21)
If you start drinking tea with those crumpets you will indeed be Scottish.
Ahhhh, the great philosopher Steven Curtis Chapman said it like this...."What I see is telling me this world's gone crazy, but what is real says 'God's still on His throne'...And what I need is to remember one thing, that the Lord of the gentle breeze is Lord of the rough and tumble....And He is the King of the Jungle." And Tim, He is Lord of your jungle. (Ok...so they don't have jungles in Scotland...use your imagination...is symbolic...substitution...come on and cut me a little slack here...I'm trying to be encouraging.... :-) !!!
All very good comments. I appreciate ya'll.
Post a Comment