Who are we?

My photo
Lakeland, Florida, United States
We are Tim (Dad), Krisy (Mom), Delaney (7), Greyson (2), and Owen (1).

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Good Experience

You may remember that I am a research assistant on a study that is being done on the relationship between "theology" and "religious studies". In order to carry out my duties I thought I would just get some insight regarding the general issues in the study.

So I get to interview someone. I set up an interview with a professor here named James Cox who wrote a book on the phenomenology of religion. He is a leading expert in the field of religious studies. Of course, he views "religion" in a much more objective way that I would. I do not consider Christianity to be just a "religion", belief system, or a philosophy...it is God's revealed Will, the truth of which is predicated on the necessity of a self-existant eternal God and punctuated by the Resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. So he and I may not see "eye-to-eye" on everything. But he has graciously agreed to meet with me and discuss the issues involved in the study.

He actually was a keynote speaker at Oxford last summer, speaking on the same issue. So, to use a phrase coined by my urban brethren: "He's got street cred." I look forward to interviewing him and getting pointers on how to conduct the discussion meeting I have to organize this semester. The interview is next Wednesday.

No comments: