Who are we?

My photo
Lakeland, Florida, United States
We are Tim (Dad), Krisy (Mom), Delaney (7), Greyson (2), and Owen (1).

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

What a difference a semester makes

Today I was thinking about how different this semester is from the previous one. Last semester everything was new and I spent most of my time "finding" things. But the biggest change has been my level of activity. Last semester I spent all of my time reading and trying to zero in on a research question on which to build my dissertation.

This semester, I am still doing that, but now I am attending lectures, auditing a seminar on Calvinist piety, conducting a study on the relationship between theology and religious studies, travelling to two cities I have never seen, preparing for the review board (thats another post in itself), and beginning to think toward employment after school.

It just seems like things sped up. That is good.

Another new development: we are starting to exercise. If you were around us last year at this time, you know we had a similar health kick then. I was jogging, eating better, and doing sit ups. But as the big move started getting closer I stopped running, started supersizing everything, and focused on the art of sitting down.

There is a certain amount of exercise built into our lives already since we do not have a car. But yesterday was the first day back in the running game. It was very refreshing ... at first. Then the cold air and previous lack of motion brought one thought to my head: CHEST.....HURTING!!! But I pushed through the pain and had a nice run through the Meadows here in Edinburgh.

Here's hoping this exercise campaign lasts longer than 3 months like last time.

Tim

4 comments:

Joe said...

Mark, aren't you worried about ladies stalking you using the wireless output from your shoes? They might have blueteeth!

Here in Chicago, I'm afriad to go outside in the winter to run, as I do not think I would enjoy snapping an ankle, so I stick to the elliptical.

Bridges said...

Now how long has it been since the three of us sat down and had a chat like this? Strange how technology helps that kind of thing.

Mark, I checked out the gadget and it looks cool. Although it may cause me to stop exercising when I hear the thing say "Your average speed is 2.5mph...quit walking fatty." But I am sensitive.

I too would use an eliptical -- actually no I would not. We had one in Clewiston and it held my ties and suit jackets and other forms of laundry. I almost snapped an ankle today as I was running uphill on an unevenly paved/cobblestoned street. Not cool.

I guess it must be something about being 30, excercise becomes a necessary evil, like salad.

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

I don't really have anything constructive to say, but I just wanted to jump in here since most of my favorite guys from the high school are right here on this page :)
I don't like to exercise at all. Sweat just isn't becoming.

- Christy Sallee

Bridges said...

This is actually more people than attended our class reunion...since there was not one (at least not one I know about).

[Insert joke here about there being one and me not being invited]

:)

Tim