Who are we?

My photo
Lakeland, Florida, United States
We are Tim (Dad), Krisy (Mom), Delaney (7), Greyson (2), and Owen (1).

Sunday, March 11, 2007

7 Years ago today...

Eighteen years ago, when she met me, I had a mullet and I was wearing the 80's excuse for style. I was in the band. I said things like "kowabunga" and "dude" way too often. We were friends then, but from a distance. Based on my eccentricities and photos from the era, I can understand.

Fourteen years ago, the distance was reduced though the mullet was not removed. We went to dances together. I picked her up for prom...twice. The eccentricities were not gone. Our senior year, I had a large "Kermit the Frog" wearing a tuxedo in the passenger seat of the car we were taking to the dance. That shocking bit of weirdness is on video. The fact that she decided to go to the prom with me anyway was prophetic for our later life.

Seven years ago today: I did not know I would have a daughter. I had never heard of New College, University of Edinburgh. I did not know many of the people who are now my best friends. I had never been a senior pastor. I would have laughed if you told me we would be living in Scotland one day. I weighed about 30 pounds less than I do right now, but was still "too big for my britches."I did not embrace the Doctrines of Grace in the way I do now. I wore glasses that were too big for my face. I thought I had my whole life planned out. I was much more stubborn than I am today.

But something did happen seven years ago today that has not changed. I was married to the woman of my dreams. We stood before God, who alone knew where we would go and what we would do from that day on. Only He knew what we were really promising in our vows. Although we did not know the full content of our lives they way He did, we knew Him. And we knew that He was joining us together.

Seven years ago today I became a much better man, or at least I took a major step in that direction. Krisy has been patient, forgiving, and patient, and forgiving. Like all marriages, we have had good times and bad, sickness and health. But as I sit here in front of this computer today, having traveled around the sun seven times with the wife who is sitting just a room away, I am more in love than I was then. I know her better and I trust her more. My dreams have become larger, but she still fills them. I am also happy to report two changes: no mullet, no distance.

Sometimes I wonder what I would be doing today if we had not been married seven years ago. The answer? Looking for her.

Happy Anniversary.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!

We love you guys!

Joe said...

Congratulations on 7 years! Here's hoping you have 50 more together.

Your wedding was the last time I saw you guys. I hope we can meet again some day.