I wanted to end the day with some upbeat reflections.If you have a blog, you know that there is a temptation to post well manicured articles that present yourself "as you want to be seen." It reminds me of a quote I once heard, "Family trees on display have usually been well pruned." In other words, the effort to put our best foot forward can inspire a "blog self" that does not correspond with reality.
When our best foot is forward, it is still made of clay. It helps me to admit that from time to time. So, this is an honest reflection.
When our best foot is forward, it is still made of clay. It helps me to admit that from time to time. So, this is an honest reflection.
I love to laugh, don't you? If that seems a bit trite, remember there is a time and a season for laughter (Ecc. 3). I had lunch with a friend yesterday and we spent a lot of time laughing together. We transitioned easily from theology to personal stories to genuine belly laughs back to theology.
It got me to thinking about the gift of laughter. I do not think there is humor in every situation. It would be an error to assume that a wise crack or pun will improve every moment. I may have to go to the other end of the spectrum. There are few things that are truly funny to me. Sure I laugh a lot. I appreciate well-crafted stories. Andy Griffith is a hoot. But I am refering to another brand of laughter. One that transforms my perspective in a moment.
When I am downcast and Krisy says something perfectly witty (if you know her, you know what I mean) to remind me of myself, I laugh this kind of laughter. When I feel betrayed by someone and then remember how it feels to be with my brothers, I laugh this kind of laughter. I feel it in my eyes. They are full and sparkling because they have been lifted.
I am not moved by slap-stick, though I like a good pie in the face every now and again. But when God shakes me and my compass returns to true north, I am either laughing or crying. Sometimes both.
So, what makes you laugh?
It got me to thinking about the gift of laughter. I do not think there is humor in every situation. It would be an error to assume that a wise crack or pun will improve every moment. I may have to go to the other end of the spectrum. There are few things that are truly funny to me. Sure I laugh a lot. I appreciate well-crafted stories. Andy Griffith is a hoot. But I am refering to another brand of laughter. One that transforms my perspective in a moment.
When I am downcast and Krisy says something perfectly witty (if you know her, you know what I mean) to remind me of myself, I laugh this kind of laughter. When I feel betrayed by someone and then remember how it feels to be with my brothers, I laugh this kind of laughter. I feel it in my eyes. They are full and sparkling because they have been lifted.
I am not moved by slap-stick, though I like a good pie in the face every now and again. But when God shakes me and my compass returns to true north, I am either laughing or crying. Sometimes both.
So, what makes you laugh?
1 comment:
That picture of you!!!HA HA
Post a Comment